While it is probably not common knowledge that chemotherapy can affect your mouth, most people do know that at the same time it bombards cancer cells with strong drugs, it is also bombarding your healthy cells. As a result, some of your healthy cells can get damaged or die. This goes for cells in your mouth, too, and when that happens problems can arise. Our final installment of Chemotherapy And Your Mouth Health discusses what types of foods to eat and which to stay away from during chemotherapy treatment.
What to Eat and Drink, and How
If your mouth becomes sore and uncomfortable during chemotherapy treatment, here are some tips that may help:
- Choose healthy foods that are easy to chew and swallow.
- Take small bites and chew slowly.
- Sip liquids with your meals.
- If you have trouble swallowing, moisten/soften your food with broth, sauces, gravy, yogurt, or other liquids.
- Eat soft, moist foods such as scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, and cooked cereals such as Cream of Wheat and oatmeal.
- Call your doctor when your mouth hurts, he/she can prescribe medicine to relieve the pain.
Avoid the following:
- Hot, spicy foods
- Taco chips or other sharp, crunchy foods, that could scrape or cut the inside of your mouth.
- Acidic foods such as pasta sauce, citrus fruits, etc., and acidic beverages such as fruit juices, can cause tissue irritation.
- Sugary foods such as candy and soda can cause cavities.
- Toothpicks can poke or scratch your mouth.
- All tobacco products.
- Alcoholic drinks.
Things to Remember:
- Visit your dentist one month before your cancer treatment starts.
- Keep your mouth moist and clean during treatment.
- Call your cancer doctor or dentist if your mouth hurts or you have other oral problems.
CALL JUST WRIGHT DENTAL IN CORSICANA, TX TODAY!
At Just Wright Dental, our priority is ensuring that every visit is a comfortable and friendly experience, and that all of our patients understand every stage of their diagnosis, planning, and treatment. To find out what a difference our patient-centered approach can make, schedule your consultation with Dr. Justin Wright and our team by calling our dental office in Corsicana, TX today at (903) 225-2221. We also proudly welcome patients from Navarro County, TX, and the surrounding communities, including Corsicana, Mildred, Eureka, Ennis, Fairfield, Teague, Blooming Grove, Dawson, Hubbard, Hillsboro, Mexia, Groesbeck, Kerens, Malakoff, Rice, Centerville, Buffalo, and Athens.